Established as the 19th Bombardment Wing on
August 10, 1948 from resources of the former North Guam Air Force Base
Command (Provisional). Operated North Guam (later, Andersen) AFB, Guam,
and maintained proficiency in B–29s.
In May 1949, headquarters 20th Air Force moved from Guam to Okinawa and
it's former staff was assigned to the 19th Bomb Wing. The wing
assumed responsibility for administering two active and one semi-active
bases plus an assortment of communication, weather, radar, rescue and
other facilities and units including the Marianas Air Material Area, a
wing size unit. Many of the units and facilities were inactivated
with a few months. In October 1949, the 19th Wing again became
subordinated to the 20th AF and the remaining units in the Marianas and Bonin Islands were transferred to other organizations. From
October 17, 1949 until June 28, 1950, the wing continued B-29 training,
operation of Anderson AFB and some rescue and reconnaissance missions.
On June 25, 1950, the Korean War broke out. The 19th Bomb Group
was detached from SAC and assigned to Far East Air Force (FEAF).
It immediately deployed to a forward base to get closer to planned
targets. On the night of June 28th - only three days after
the outbreak of the war - the 19th Bomb Wing B-29s struck enemy
bridges, trucks, tanks and supply columns. This was the first use
of SAC's combat power. The 19th Group returned to the United
States and SAC on June 1, 1953. [See Korean
The battle-weary veteran aircrews of the 19th flew to Davis-Monthan AFB, Arizona and dropped of their
old B-29s, then proceeded to Pinecastle AFB, Florida where they began
receiving shiny new B-47s. They were assigned the 28th, 30th, and 93rd Bomb
Squadrons on June 1, 1953. The
wing Deployed to Sidi Slimane AB, French Morocco, from January to April
of 1956. Upon it's return, it was moved to Homestead AFB,
Florida. It was deployed to Ben Guerir AB, Morocco, May to July 1957. From July 1957 to Apr
1961, the wing maintained a portion of its tactical resources on
overseas alert. It's B-47s were then phased out.
The 19th took on an aerial refueling
mission. The 100th Air Refueling Squadron was attached to the wing
from February 2, 1955 until August 16, 1956. In February 1956, the
19th Air Refueling Squadron was assigned to the wing.
Both flew KC-97s.
B-52 Stratofortress / KC-135 Tankers
On July 1, 1961, it was redesignated
19th Bomb Wing (Heavy) and began converting to B-52s. The
official Air Force Wing History states, "It moved without personnel or equipment to Robins
AFB, Georgia, on July 25, 1968 and absorbed resources of the 465th Bombardment
Wing." This is simply a complicating way of saying that
the old 19th was discontinued and another wing was given it numeric designation.
It didn't keep all the
planes very long. SAC was then in the process of establishing
Strategic Wings and the 19th lost four squadrons to them.
This left the 19th with one squadron of B-52s. It was, in effect, a
strategic wing, but was not redesignated as such.
Furnished B–52 and KC–135 aircraft and crews to other SAC
organizations involved in combat operations in Southeast Asia, and late
in 1972 the wing headquarters reduced to a small housekeeping unit
because of personnel deployments. Regained KC–135 and B–52 aircraft
and crews and resumed normal operations in Nov 1973.
Won the Omaha
Trophy as the "outstanding wing in SAC" for 1981. Redesignated
an air refueling wing on 1 Oct 1983, began worldwide aerial refueling
missions for various operations and exercises, and supported the
European Tanker Task Force. Flew aerial refueling missions supporting
the rescue efforts in Grenada, 23–24 Oct 1983. Beginning in 1984,
provided two EC–135 aircraft and crews to support the United States
Central Command’s mission in Southwest Asia. With conversion to
KC–135R aircraft, gained the additional missions of supporting the
Pacific and Alaska Tanker Task Forces in Mar 1988, and the Caribbean
Tanker Task Force in Mar 1990. Wing aircraft and crews set sixteen world
aviation records in the "Time to Climb Event" on 19 Nov 1988.
Flew aerial refueling missions for the invasion of Panama, 18–21 Dec
1989. Deployed KC/EC–135 aircraft and personnel to Southwest Asia, Aug
1990–Mar 1991, to provide aerial refueling and transport of cargo, and
command, control and communications aircraft. Starting 1 Jan 1992,
provided an EC–137 and crews to support the United States Special
Operations Command. Began supporting the Saudi Tanker Task Force in Aug
The 19th Bomb Wing ceased B-52 operations on October 1, 1983 at which time
the unit was redesignated the 19th Air Refueling Wing, Heavy.
Redesignated the 19th Air Refueling Wing on
September 1, 1991.
19 BG (later, 19th Operations): Assigned Aug 17, 1948 – Jun 1,
1953. (Detached Jun 28, 1950 –
Jun 1, 1953); 1 Sep 1991 –.
457 Operations: Assigned Jul 1, 1993 – Oct 1, 1994.
All six of the bombardment squadrons flew
B-47s. The first three flew with the 19th Bomb Wing
from 1953 until phased out in
1961-1962. The last three were assigned to wing as the result of
wings being phased out. They
were in operation only a short period, before they too were phased out.
28 BS: Assigned June 1, 1953 – Oct 1, 1983. Received
B-52H in Feb 1962 and flew until 1958.
Transferred to Robins AFB Georgia on
July 25, 1958 and acquired B-52G previously flown by the
781BS, 465 Bombardment
Wing. Inactivated Oct
30 BS: Assigned Jun 1, 1953 - Jan 1, 1962.
Then assigned to the 4133rd Strategic Wing
Assigned Jun 1, 1953 - Aug 1, 1961. Then assigned to
the 4239th Strategic Wing
525 BS: Assigned Jan 9, 1961 - Mar 15, 1961. Then assigned to
the 4136th Strategic Wing
526 BS: Assigned Jan 9, 1961 - June 1, 1961. Then assigned
t0 the 4042nd
659 BS: Assigned Nov 1, 1958 - Jul 1, 1961.
19 AR: Assigned Feb 1, 1956 - Apr 1, 1960 (Detached Feb 1 – Jun 1,
100 AR: Attached Feb 2, 1955 - Aug 16, 1956.
303 AR: Assigned Nov 1, 1959 - Apr 1, 1961.
407 AR: Assigned Apr 1, 1962 - Jul 2, 1968.
912 AR: Assigned Jul 25, 1968 - Sep 1, 1991.
21 Troop Carrier:
Attached Jan 12 – Feb 1, 1950.