||450th Bombardment Wing
No known motto
|Based at: Minot
Status: Inactive. Replaced by 5th Bomb Wing on July 25,
Squadrons: 720 BS, 906 ARS
Established as the 450th Fighter-Bomber Wing on March 23,
1953. Activated July 1, 1954, at Foster AFB, Texas.
Redesignated 450th Fighter-Day Wing on March 8, 1955; 450th Tactical
Fighter Wing on July 1, 1958. Inactivated Dec. 18, 1958.
Redesignated 450th Bombardment Wing Heavy and activated
November 15, 1962. Organized February 1, 1963 at Minot AFB, North
Dakota, where it replaced the 4136th Strategic
Wing. It trained in
global bombardment and air refueling operations. Added post attack
command and control system (PACCS) airborne launch control system (ALCS)
missions in 1967 and began active PACCS/ALCS missions in February
Supported SAC combat operations in Southeast
Asia by furnishing KC-15 aircraft and crews, December 1965- July 1968,
and B-52 crews, Jun-July 1968.
Inactive. Replaced by the 5th Bombardment Wing on July 25, 1968.
720 BS: Assigned: Feb. 1, 1963 - July 25, 1968. Upon activation,
it acquired the B-52Hs previously flown
by the 525 BS 4136th Strategic
Wing. Aircraft and personnel transferred to 23 BS, 5th
on July 25, 1968.
906 AR: Assigned: Feb. 1, 1963 - July 24, 1968