91st Bombardment Wing
91st Strategic Missile Wing
"Poised For Peace"
| Based at: McGuire
AFB, Barksdale AFB,
Lockbourne AFB, Glasgow
AFB, Minot AFB
Aircraft: B-17, B-29, B-45, B-47, B-50, B-52. KB-50,
KB-97, KC-135. Minuteman, Peacekeeper
Status: Now the 91st Strategic Missile Wing
Squadrons: 322 BS, 323 BS, 324 BS, 91 AR, 100 AR, 740 MS,
741 MS, 742 MS
Links: Minot AFB
| The 91st was one of SAC's longest-lasting and most versatile wings. It
began as a reconnaissance wing, evolved into a bomb wing and ended up a missile
wing. It's men flew virtually every plane in the SAC inventory.
Today it operates Minuteman sites.
The Strategic Reconnaissance Wing was
established October 11, 1948 and activated November 10th at McGuire, AFB, New
Jersey. It moved to Barksdale AFB, a year later.
B-17s, B-29, B-50 and B-45
During it's first year, the 91st flew B-17s, RB-17s
and trained it's men on the TRB-17. It's planes were soon replaced by
B-29s, RB-29s, and TB-29s, then B-50, RB-50. It's diversified aircraft
inventory included the esoteric RC-54. It was the only wing to have the
B-45 and RB-45. Although bombers were assigned to the wing, it's primary
mission was global strategic reconnaissance. In 1950, it began receiving
tankers, first the KB-29, then the KC-97. On July 6, 1950, it was
redesignated the 91st Strategic Reconnaissance Wing, Medium.
At Barksdale, it's wing headquarters with integrated with that of the
301st Bomb Wing. Although each wing conducted independent tactical
operations, both detached components for up to three months. The wing
also maintained detachments from other units. All of the trading
back-and-forth of aircraft and aircrews was to provide ongoing
reconnaissance of overseas areas. The detachments operated out of
Lockbourne AFB, Ohio
On Sept. 11,
1951, the 91st moved to Lockbourne AFB, Ohio. It received its first YRB-47B in April of
1953, quickly followed by the RB-47B; that was the designation initially given to a proposed photo-reconnaissance
version of the B-47B Stratojet. What actually became known as the RB-47B were 24 B-47Bs that were converted
to reconnaissance configuration in 1953-54 by adding a special 8-camera heated
pod in the forward bomb bay. Unlike the later RB-47E, the RB-47B could only
provide daylight photographic coverage. During 1953, B-47s were
assigned to the wing. The 91st continued it's worldwide reconnaissance
mission . Units were detached to England, 1952-1954. From
1951-1953, they operated out of Japan, providing photos of Korea.
Units were also detached to North Africa and Newfoundland in 1956 and
Greenland in 1957. The 91st was inactivated on November 8, 1957.
Glasgow AFB and B-52s and KC-135
It was redesignated the 91st Bombardment
Wing, Heavy and activated on November 15, 1962 at Glasgow AFB, Montana on
February 1, 1963. It received B-52Cs from the 99th Bomb Wing
and new B-52Ds from Boeing. It also began taking
delivery on KC-135s. It's new mission was global bombardment,
supported by aerial refueling.
On September 11, 1966, the entire wing,
except for a small rear echelon, was integrated into the Strategic Air
Command's Arc Light Force for combat in Southeast Asia. It returned on
March 31, 1967. From February 5, to April 15, 1968, it was deployed in
Okinawa in response to the Pueblo Incident. A month after returning
home, it became non-operational. It's aircraft departed and it's primary
job was closing Glasgow AFB.
Minot AFB and Minuteman Missiles
On June 25, 1968, the old reconnaissance and
bombardment wing was moved to Minot AFB, North Dakota. There it
absorbed the personnel and equipment of the recently inactivated 355
Strategic Missile Wing
It was then redesignated the 91st Strategic Missile Wing.
Currently maintains Minuteman missile
91 BG: Assigned Nov. 10, 1948-May 28, 1952 (Not operational Feb 10, 1951 - May 28 1952)
16 BS: Attached Nov 10, 1948 - June 1, 1949
38 BS: Attached Nov 1, 1950 - Jan 5, 1951
91 BS: Attached Jan 22, 1949 - Mar 25, 1949
322 BS: Attached Feb 10, 1951 -
May 27, 1952. Assigned May 28, 1952 - Nov 8, 1957.
Assigned Feb, 1963 - June
25, 1968 (Detached (c Sept 11, 1966 - c Mar 31, 1967,
c Feb 16, 1958 - c
Apr 30, 1958; Not operational c May 1 - June 25, 1958)
On Feb. 1, 1963, it
received the resources of the former 4141st
323 BS: Attached Feb 10, 1951 - May 27, 1952. Assigned May
28, 1952- Nov 8, 1957
(Detached Jan 12 - Feb, 26,
324 BS: Attached Feb 10, 1951 - May 27, 1952. Assigned May 28,
1952 - Nov 8, 1957
338 BS: Attached Nov 1, 1950 - Nov 24, 1950
343 BS: Attached Nov 1, 1950 - Jan 3, 1951
740 MS: Assigned Jun 25, 1958 -
741 MS: Assigned Jun 25, 1958 -
742 MS: Assigned Jun 25, 1958 -
26AR: Attached May 28, 1952 - June 1, 1953
68 AR: Attached May 5, 1952 - May 28,
91 AR: Attached Feb 10, 1952 - May 27, 1952.
Assigned May 28, 1952 - Nov 8, 1957
(Detached Jan 12,
1954 - Feb 26, 2954, Oct 6 - Nov 12, 1954, July 10 - Oct 1955)
100 AR Attached May 23 - Nov 24, 1953
907 AR: Assigned Jul 1, 1963 - June 25, 1968. (Detached c Sep
11, 1966 - c Mar 31, 1957,
c. Feb 1958 - c April 16, 1958;
Not operational c May 1 - June 25, 1968.