Activated in 1954,
but until Apr 1955, the division served
as a holding unit at Westover AFB, Massachusetts, for personnel of the Eighth
Air Force who moved to the base as part of a transfer of Eighth’s headquarters
from Carswell AFB, Tex.
The division was activated under the Air Research and
Development Command in Apr 1957 as the first division-level organization
controlling intermediate range and intercontinental ballistic missiles. It
became an operational component of Strategic Air Command (SAC) in Jan 1958, and
began operational testing of missile systems, supporting missile launchings by
SAC and other agencies, and training SAC missile men.