Hunter Air Force Base
During the 1950s the
2d Bombardment Wing was located at Hunter Air Force Base, GA equipped with
B-47 bombers. The 308th Bombardment Wing (Medium) was deployed at Hunter
Air Force Base, Georgia in the mid-1950s, operating the B-47 bomber. The
Air Force Directorate of Installations recorded accelerated tests for
“tar-rubber” runway and airfield pavement at Hunter Air Force Base in
early 1952, in hopes of developing a pavement less costly than concrete.
When the Air Force closed the in 1967, the Army
promptly assumed control. Hunter Army Airfield covers about 5,400 acres.
The area consist of a cluster of sub-communities in Chatham County. Hunter
Army Airfield is located along White Bluff Street between DeRenne and
Abercorn Streets. It is the largest Army Airfield in the Continental
United States. Home of the 1st Ranger Battalion, 160th SOAR, and many
supply units of the 3rd Infantry Division, these units have deployed to
places such as Grenada, Panama, Saudi Arabia, and Bosnia from HAAF.
In conjunction with the flight training being conducted
at Fort Stewart, the U.S. Army Flight Training Center came into being in
1967. The helicopter pilot training was rapidly accelerated and pilots
were trained and soon sent to duty all over the world, with a large
percentage seeing active duty in Viet Nam. Hunter Army Airfield, part of
the Stewart/Hunter complex, is also the home of the US Coast Guard
Station, Savannah - the largest helicopter unit in the Coast Guard. It
provides Savannah and the Southeast United States with round-the-clock
search-and-rescue coverage of its coastal areas.
Home to the 3rd Mechanized Infantry Division,
Fort Stewart is located in southeastern Ga. near Hinesville, and is the
largest Army installation east of the Mississippi River, covering close to
280,000 acres. Its sister installation, Hunter Army Airfield, lies in
Savannah. Together they comprise a city unto itself, with 57,000 soldiers,
civilians and family members working together in support of the Army